The Barcelona Pavilion was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Lilly Reich as the German Pavilion for the Barcelona International Exhibition, held on Montjuïc.
The Barcelona Pavilion, an emblematic work of the Modern Movement, has been exhaustively studied and interpreted as well as having inspired the oeuvre of several generations of architects.It was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Lilly Reich
as the German National Pavilion for the 1929 Barcelona International Exhibition
Built from glass, steel and different kinds of marble, the Pavilion was conceived to accommodate the official reception presided over by King Alfonso XIII of Spain along with the German authorities.
After the closure of the Exhibition, the Pavilion was disassembled in 1930. As time went by, it became a key point of reference not only in Mies van der Rohe’s own career but also in twentieth-century architecture as a whole.
Given the significance and reputation of the Pavilion, thoughts turned towards its possible reconstruction.
In 1980 Oriol Bohigas, as head of the Urban Planning Department at the Barcelona City Council, set the project in motion, designating architects Ignasi de Solà-Morales, Cristian Cirici and Fernando Ramos to research, design and supervise the reconstruction of the Pavilion.
Work began in 1983 and the new building was opened on its original site in 1986.What does your booking include?
Buy it now and access to December 2023!
- Admission to the Pavilion.
: from Monday to Sunday.
- From March to October: from 10am to 8pm (last admission to the Pavilion: 7.45pm).
- From November to February: from 10am to 6pm (last admission to the Pavilion: 5.45pm). We recommend you to check the schedule before your visit: www.miesbcn.com
: 16/2, 17/2, 18/2, 21/2, 22/2, 23/2 and 24/2.Meeting point
: Mies van der Rohe Pavilion. Avda. Francesc Ferrer i Guàrdia, 7. Metro: L1 and L3, Espanya. FGC: Espanya. Bus: 9, 13, 23, 27, 37, 46, 50, 65, 79, 91, 109, D20, H12 and V7.
- Free admission for under 16s.
- Reduced ticket: Students, Unemployed, Large family card. Proof of age must be provided when purchasing a reduced ticket.
- The on-line discount doesn’t apply to reduced admission.
- Access allowed until 15 minutes before closing time. Occasionally the Pavilion can be closed to the public or could have limited access.
Copyright pictures: Pepo Segura
Customer services provider: PAVELLÓ MIES VAN DER ROHE